miércoles, 3 de agosto de 2011

Siete días más

So, I decided to switch to Blogger instead of Tumblr since I love Blogger's editing layout and Tumblr is a bit too simplified when it comes to creating posts (unless you have a specific type of layout). That being said, I'll continue my posts about the medical mission in this blog and see what happens from there! I also plan to make all of the following posts in Spanish, so any corrections on my grammar/spelling/etc are welcome (and very much encouraged)!

Nevertheless, it just hit me today (or tonight, rather) that in less than a week, I'll be heading to Peru. It's a weird feeling knowing that I'll be leaving soon, since I've been waiting since March for this moment. Looking back, I thought to myself how far August would be, and it was. Yet, the moment's finally almost here, and I can't even begin to think of what experiences I'll come across (even before we get to Huancavelica).

I've never traveled abroad by myself; and when I say by myself, I mean without any family members coming with. A bit scary, since I've never traveled on a plane without at least one other family member with me. But it's a good feeling. Though I'm a bit apprehensive since I don't know what to expect, for sure. On the one hand, I'm leaving my comfortable bubble in Orange County to head for one of the poorest cities in the world, Huancavelica.

In Huancavelica, the vast majority of residents don't have access to a toilet, washing machine, kitchen, or anything that I can see easily within my reach at my condo. In fact, the residents have only a few sheets of metal and some rocks to call their home. I feel spoiled by the thought that I'll be freezing in Peru since it's currently their winter season, but in reality, those residents don't even have the comfort of a heater in their homes.

Going on this medical mission reminds me of a caregiver I met a while back, while I was still a SHA at the medical center. She told me that she's gone on missions abroad before, and that's been one of the most humbling experiences of her life. She believed that to the point that she allowed her kids to go on those missions, so they can have a feel for exactly how fortunate they are to have what they have. Being aware of all of these things that I have, all of these types of technology just lying idly by my side, all of these gadgets and gizmos that are left behind in the closets of my house and hidden in drawers, all kinds of things never before seen by the residents of Huancavelica!--it really brings a new perspective in my life. I may deny that I'm spoiled, but my life is full of excess--excess luxuries, excess meals, excess materials...

And I know this is constantly stated, and very much cliche, but I worry about the most trivial things in my life--Facebook statuses, what to wear today, the fact that someone cut me off on the freeway--when I never stop to wonder why it is that these worries are what mostly preoccupy my mind.

I'm hoping that from this trip, I'll not only be able to serve, but come back with a sense of clarity; hopefully be able to see things from someone else's shoes, and learn about things that I've only read or heard about. It's almost surreal to know that I'll be traveling from one of the wealthiest areas to one of the poorest. And if going on this trip isn't enough to keep me focused and remind me of my goals while staying away from petty thoughts and distractions, then I don't know what else will do.

Overall, I'm excited and I'm glad to be able to go on this trip with like-minded and inspiring individuals from all backgrounds, all with the same mission--to serve.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario