miércoles, 31 de agosto de 2011

Bienvenidos a Huancavelica, Perú!

(Due to time constraints, this entry has been typed in English.)

Huancavelica is a tiny Peruvian city lodged about 12,000 ft above sea level, enclosed by the Andes mountains. The roads are bumpy, the buildings worn out, yet the city's rich background lies in its vivid architecture; churches and colonial buildings remain standing as a sign of the city's lucrative mining history.

(Photo taken by Mike Larremore)

The Peruvian American Medical Society (PAMS) volunteers and I stayed at the city's finest hotel, the Hotel Presidente. The exterior has a unique historic feel, with its brick walls and tiny balconies. It's a rather small hotel, which makes the interior undeniably homey and comfortable, especially with hot coca tea available anytime at the front door.




My roommate T.C. and I had our room (unfortunately) located on the third floor. I never gave much thought about how exactly the altitude would affect me, but at least for the first week I was in the city, climbing up two flights of stairs felt like running a slow mile.




The first few days in Huancavelica were used to get familiar with the city, the hospitals, the orphanage, and perhaps most importantly, the altitude. A few friends had to stay inside for some time, combating the fatigue, headaches, and other symptoms that had come as a result of the elevation. Luckily, I didn't have to stay inside for any altitude sickness, but it did take about a week to completely adjust to the high elevation; meaning, it took about a week to adjust my breathing and not be so exhausted while climbing up the stairs.

THE CITY OF HUANCAVELICA:






I never would've imagined living in a city spread high in the mountains! The views were unreal and the skies were always beautiful. Huancavelica is a big change from the city life, that's for sure, and I'm glad I was able to at least familiarize myself with such a different lifestyle.

THE HOSPITALS:
Hospital Ministerio de Salud -- MINSA
Hospital del Seguro Social de Salud del Perú -- EsSalud

THE ORPHANAGE:
Aldea Infantil "San Francisco de Asis"

There will be separate posts to talk about the hospitals, the orphanage, etc. Truthfully, I am already back home in Orange County; I arrived in LAX last Saturday night. Still, there's so much to write about! I haven't had much time to blog while I was actually in Peru due to a number of reasons, but I will make as much time as possible to write everything I can!

As an aside, I'm also working on a YouTube page to upload all the videos I took during the trip! I've got a few videos up already, but there are many more to come!

1 comentario:

  1. Hi, I am sixteen and from the US and last summer I went to lima to volunteer at an orphanage. It was a great experience and I am considering going back next summer. I want to experience a different place and wanted to know how things were at the orphanage? And I was wondering how many kids were in their late teenage years and were going age out or have to leave the orphanage?
    Thank you so much

    ResponderBorrar